List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Using nxclient instead of xdm
From:       "Dennis Heltzel" <pclinuxos () heltzel ! org>
Date:       2007-11-14 15:46:47

That's close to the idea. I'm using VNC now to run 5 different sessions on
my server, one for each family member. Each person knows their
"Ctl-Alt-F#" to get to their personal session that stays logged in all the
time. The X that's talking to the video is only running a single copy of
vnxviewer in the full screen, the desktop is running in Xvnc. There are a
few glitches with this setup, so I'm trying NX to see if it works better.

When I try a similar setup, the nxclient program runs fine until it
finishes the login and (presumably) starts KDE, then it simply exists and
the screen contains nothing, though I can see the KDE is running in the
process table. I've tried switching it to gnome in case it was a KDE
thing, with similar results. I can keep the desktop running if I start
nxviewer in the background and run a foreground process on the next line.
If the foreground process exits (like running a sleep command), then the
entire desktop disappears with it!

I'm trying to run nxclient with "--session <file>" as an argument, but I
tried it without and it didn't do what I wanted either.