List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Using nxclient instead of xdm
From:       Holger Krull <holger.krull () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-11-14 14:26:49

Dennis Heltzel schrieb:
> Has anyone tried to use freenx as a replacement for the normal X
> utilities, specifically, as a login chooser in palce of xdm (or kdm, gdm,
> etc)?

I can see no way how this could work.

> I'd like to start just nxclient instead of a full desktop and let the
> desktop and apps run inside the NX session.

If you don't want a local X11 Server then tell xdm not to start one. If you don't \
want to login without using nx, don't start xdm (or whatever you use). nx doesn't \
need it.

> This would let me use my main
> desktop remotely without the overhead of the "backing" desktop, which
> would not be running anything but nxclient anyway.

The 'backing' desktop is created by nxproxy if i understood that right. It has \
nothing to do with a already running X11 Server started by xdm.