List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX] OT: Editing a .nxs file with nxclient
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-09-09 10:39:34

Fabian Franz wrote:
> > Felix E. Klee wrote:
> > > I just sent a feature request for an "--edit" option to the NoMachine!
> > folks.
> >
> > So you did first try "--help", but when it told you
> >
> > nxclient --config blabla.nxs
>
> Wow, you did give me a shock first. Had I really overseen / forgotten this option? \
> (as I had suggested in irc to try a FR). ;-)
> Nope, "fortunately" it does not do exactly, what --edit should do.
>
> Well, that would allow to create new client.cfg, which points to another directory, \
> which has the .nxs file, but that is not very different from copying the file to \
> .nx/config and editing it.
> I think a --edit <file.nxs> would still be nice so I think an innocent feature \
> request is the way to go. :)

To be honest, if *I* had to decide about that "innocent" feature request
I'd give it very low priority.

Not least because you can already do all of what you want with current
nxclient options. Adding the "Save As..." doesn't add much very urgently
needed functionality. There are more important things to spend one's time
and money on...

Once you have opened nxclient, you can edit the "Session" line to any
name you want. This automatically triggers another little dialog, which
creates a new session file under the new session name when you click
"Configure" (you've to you choose "Create", otherwise only the old file
gets renamed).

You can start the existing nxclient once, and create 10 different .nxs
files in 2 minutes if you want. (2½ minutes if you go to the "Environment"
tab to create+select a different "User NX directory" to save these files
to....)

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS