List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX] connecting to XDM
From:       "Tomoki Taniguchi" <tomoki.taniguchi () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-07-24 14:16:57

hello fabian,
  thank you for your reply.  I am running the freenx server on a
japanese Ubuntu Desktop system.  The main reason why I connect to XDM
as opposed to just starting GNOME
is that when i just start GNOME my japanese input system doesn"t get
started.  Loging in through XDM starts the IM properly.  The other
reason I like connecting through XDM is that it allows me to change
language environtments on a per session bases without having to go in
and changing my default language settings.  If there is another way of
doing this without logging in through XDM, i would love not having to
enter the password twice.

TIA,
Tomoki

On 7/24/07, Fabian Franz <FabianFranz@gmx.de> wrote:
> > I have recently switched from the NoMachine nxserver to the freenx server.
> > previously i was able to connect to the running XDM session so i get a
> > standard
> > login screen as if i was standing at the console.
> >
> > But ever since switching to freenx server, i cannot connect to the XDM.
> > I can still connect if i directly start a gnome session.
> > is there something i need to do so that i can connect to a running XDM?
>
> Sorry XDM is not supported by FreeNX.
>
> The reasoning is:
>
> - You have to login twice, which is additional hassle
> - If you use a standard login (user:user) anyone can resume a session of any user if its not locked ...
>
> Can you please explain why XDM support is still useful / necessary for you?
>
> cu
>
> Fabian

Tomoki Taniguchi
SKYPE: taiyocable.com_taniguchi_tomoki