List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX] {Disarmed}  install freenx on fedora core 6
From:       Alastair Johnson <alastair () solutiontrax ! com>
Date:       2007-05-30 14:12:12

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 14:15, sohbay@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the info! I am very new to linux so its very difficult for me to
> undestand

We've all been there. I'll try to explain as we go along. If you want to read
up about what the commands do you can read the man pages (online
documentation):
	man yum
	man rpm

> [root@server]# rpm -q nx
>
> nx-2.1.0-1.fc6

You just queried the package manager to find out if package nx was installed.
This tells us it is, and gives us the version number.

> [root@server]# yum install nx

> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> extras-development-source 100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
> development               100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
> extras-source             100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> core                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> development-debuginfo     100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
> updates-source            100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> extras-development        100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
> extras-debuginfo          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> updates-testing-debuginfo 100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> extras-development-debugi 100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
> core-source               100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> updates                   100% |=========================| 1.2 kB    00:00
> updates-testing-source    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> development-source        100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
> updates-debuginfo         100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> core-debuginfo            100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> updates-testing           100% |=========================| 1.2 kB    00:00
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Parsing package install arguments
> Nothing to do
> [root@server]#

yum works with rpm to sort out dependencies and look after upgrades available
from the repositories. This command would install package nx, but because you
already have the current version installed there's nothing to do. When you
did 'yum install freenx' yum worked out that freenx needed nx and installed
that as well.

That's a lot of repositories by the way, and you probably don't want them all
enabled. Anything with testing or debuginfo in the name is probably a bad
idea if you're new to linux.

> [root@server]# rpm -q --filesbypkg nx |grep nxagent
>
> nx                        /usr/bin/nxagent
> nx                        /usr/lib/NX/nxagent
> nx                        /usr/share/doc/nx-2.1.0/nxscripts/run-nxagent

A more detailed rpm query, this time listing the files provided by package nx,
then searching the results for the string nxagent. This looks right.

So now we know it's not because nx isn't installed, and can look at other
causes. A possible one is SElinux which has a habit of making things fail
without clear reasons. You could try temporarily disabling it using:
	setenforce Permissive
If freenx works after that then there's your problem.
You never posted the logs from the user's home directory, and they might also
have a clue. Look for logs
in /home/<username>/.nx/C-<servername>-<display_no>-<session_id>/