List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Cannot load long webpage in NX
From:       "Fabian Franz" <FabianFranz () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-03-26 16:20:44

> Hm
> I have very similar problems. When I view graphics of any kind (pictures,
> web
> pages with jpgs, gifs, flash, etc.), pdf files, I experience huge memory
> usage on my thin client. More specifically, for example, when viewing a
> pdf
> file, with every page opened the memory of the thin client increases. If I
> close the application (I use for viewing pdf files) the memory is freed.
> The
> real program/process that uses that memory on the thin client is
> Xorg/Xfree,
> it caches all this images in the thin client memory and releases them when
> the program taht you use to view them is closed.

Yes, this is a known problem. I also think that the caching of images is the same \
problem Paul had. Unfortunately I see no way of disabling it via X11 command line \
:-(.

I guess it needs to be done in source, but it could hurt performance a bit ...

> May be this is the problem with your client, check how much memory he has
> on
> his thin client not on the server. Or you can watch memory usage on the
> thin
> client as this page is displayed.

Yes, thats the same advice I would give. Disabling backing store on client might help \
with not image-related memory usage.

cu

Fabian