List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    [FreeNX-kNX] Screen Re-Draw Problem
From:       Reto Buerki <buerki () swiss-it ! ch>
Date:       2007-01-30 9:22:44

Hi list

I have a specific question about how screen redrawing is handled by NX
(or Xserver in general).

The actual problem that we have is that the screen is not properly
re-freshed on the client after switching to a text console and back. The
user has to actually move the mouse around to make the screen refresh
itself ...

we use the !M nxclient 2.1 and nxserver 2.1. The nxclient and it's
associated Xserver is running in a special jail. the Xserver is  patched
and runs as non-root. the nxserver is normally installed on a debian
testing machine.

The same combination works great when the client is started "normally",
let's say from an ubuntu workstation. So the problem must be the
hardened jail...

Could someone explain how screen refreshing works? I need to understand
the theory behind it so that I can solve our problem. Or does someone
have an idea what could be the cause of this behavior? How or when is
the screen re-drawing triggered?

Many thanks in advance
- reto

--