List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX 0.6.0.99 snapshot with full printing
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-01-25 2:29:14

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 22:45, Fabian Franz wrote:

>  * Note: You might need to do: chmod 755 /usr/lib/cups/backend/{ipp,http}
>
> -> This is just in general. While testing I found out that debian set
> /usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp and http to 700 with no reason whatsforever.
> I guess this is just a bug and the chmod did fix it for me.

No. It's part of a feature. CUPS will automatically run backends that
are set to 700 as root, and will run all other backends as user "lp"
(or whatever the user is). {So for example if you are using a CUPS
"pdf:/"-backend as a PDF distiller server for the network, that backend
should be able to write its results to users' homedirs, it must have
extended privileges.) The ipp:// backend needs access to the certs
files/dirs. The lpdf:// backend needs access to source ports 721-731,
because RFC "standard" for LPD expects its clients to come from these
ports, otherwise it refuses connections/printing.

chmod-ing {http,ipp} takes away the ability for those backends to
run as root. This may be fine for all FreeNX-related tasks, but may
meet occasions where it disturbs other purposes...