List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    [FreeNX-kNX] expect error connecting to nxserver
From:       "Adam Carheden" <adam.carheden () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-12-05 21:26:28

I've got a mysterious problem with freenx server running on Gentoo
Linux AMD64 that I'm hoping someone can give me insight into.

When I connect to the machine, nxclient reports that authentication
failed. The Details button is greyed. I've tried with with numerous
clients (linux/1.5, windows/1.5, windows/2.0, localhost), all with the
same results.

When I try to connect maually I get the following:
/usr/NX/bin/nxssh -nx -i /usr/NX/share/client.id_dsa.key "nx@<remote
host name here>" -p 22 -x -2 -o "RhostsAuthentication no" -o
"PasswordAuthentication no" -o "RSAAuthentication no
NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 30352
NX> 200 Connected to address: <remote IP here> on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.5.0-50-SVN OS (GPL)
NX> 105 login
login
NX> 101 User: acarheden
acarheden
NX> 102 Password: <my password here>

expect: spawn id exp3 not open
   while executing
"expect -nobrace {Are you sure you want to continue connecting
(yes/no)?} { send "yes\r" } assword*: { sleep 0.3; send "$password\r"
} {Permission deni..."
   invoked from within
"expect {
               "Are you sure you want to continue connecting
(yes/no)?" { send "yes\r" }
               "assword*:"  { sleep 0.3; send "$password\r" }
               "Permission de..."
   ("while" body line 2)
   invoked from within
"while {1} {
       expect {
               "Are you sure you want to continue connecting
(yes/no)?" { send "yes\r" }
               "assword*:"  { sleep 0.3; send "$password\r" }
               "..."
   (file "/usr/NX/bin/nxnode-login" line 36)
NX> 404 ERROR: wrong password or login
NX> 999 Bye

I know my password is fine because ssh (including x11 forwarding)
works fine to that machine. This method also works to various other
nxserver machines. Instead of the 'expect' crap, I get:
NX> 103 Welcome to: <remote host name> user: acarheden
NX> 105

The line "expect: spawn id exp3 not open" makes me suspect that expect
is failing to spawn ssh or ssh is dying, but I'm not sure how to test
or fix that.

The really strange part is that I know this worked with I first
installed the system just after installing xorg and kde. I've
installed a few unrelated things since then (a few days ago), but now
it's failing. I also have 4 other identical (i.e. installed using a
Gentoo stage4 tarball) systems that work fine.

Google only seems to have heart of this problem in Russian (I think).
I don't speak Russian, but based on the length of the thread, I don't
think the problem was solved. The reference is here:
http://lists.hellug.gr/pipermail/linux-greek-users/2005-December/060039.html

Any hints would be much appreciated.
--
Adam Carheden