List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX]
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2006-06-15 23:01:24

On Thursday 15 June 2006 23:43, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Thursday 15 June 2006 18:06, Tim Fletcher wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 12:43 -0400, Shayne Webrider wrote:
> > > Hrm...so maybe I'm looking at the wrong product.  Is there an RDP
> > > style app for linux that will do what I'm trying...?  (basically high
> > > speed remote control of an existing desktop?)
> >
> > Have a look at vino which is part of gnome
>
> He said "high speed"...

To explain a bit better what I meant with that remark:

Isn't Vino "just" a [admittedly very nice] convinience] wrapper
around VNC? The same what "krdc" provides for KDE [albeit with
"krdc" being an uglier name]?

VNC is sloooow....

You can tunnel VNC session through NX (and you'll get some speed
boost from this when you compare it to a vanilla VNC session,
especially if you have a slow link); but the speed is still not
the same as NX running an X11 session.

So, if VNC is not ruled out, here is the general recipe:

 * on the remote host run a VNC server that is able
   to  "screenscrape" your main X11 session (look at
   "x11vnc --help|less")

 * on your local system, run NX Client, and configure
   it for a VNC session to remote host, connecting to
   the screenscraping VNC server

Cheers,
Kurt