List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    [FreeNX-kNX] Session Resume Ideas
From:       k1pfeifle () gmx ! net (Kurt Pfeifle)
Date:       2005-04-25 15:42:59

On Monday 25 April 2005 13:41, Jon Severinsson wrote:

> I have been thinking on how I think FreeNX should behave, and the
> following is what I came up with:
>
> Logically (that is in our minds, but not necessarily in code) first step
> in making a connection (after authentication) is to make a list of
> available sessions.
> This list should NOT contain any sessions of another type than the
> requested (ie if you ask for a 'unix-kde' you should not be offered to
> resume a 'unix-gnome' or 'unix-custom').

I do not agree.

I may be very busy (in fact I very often am) with connecting to
various (Free)NX servers. But for some of them, I may come back to
the same server only after one or two weeks. After that time I have
forgotten which type of session there is suspended (or even still
running from another NX client).

I find it quite convenient to see a list of all my running/suspended
sessions on a particular NX server once I try to connect again --
because I can also then decide to "terminate" one or more of the
older sessions before creating a new one or re-connecting to one
that is still alive.

I do not think we should make matters more complicated than they
are already. The concept "Connect to one NX server -- and if possible,
list me all sessions which are still alive so I can decide what to
do with them" is as simple as it can get. (With the simplest option
being "Connect immediately, if you can (because all parameters match
to a running session".)

Cheers,
Kurt