List:       freenet-tech
Subject:    [Freenet-tech] Re: [Freenet-support] Do you guys get it yet - YOUR LIST MANAGER
From:       "Richard Johnson" <rdump () river ! com>
Date:       2000-06-29 19:49:16

At 06:32 -0600 on 6/29/00, Oskar Sandberg wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Frieye@aol.com wrote:
> > I would have to agree, I subscribed to general chat mail list and I am
> > now on all the list for some reason. I am also not listed on he cirrent
> > list of subscribers and connot find my mail address if I search the site.
>
> That is weird, because I did find your address in the list, and the URL to
> your options page for freenet-support is right here...

That's interesting.  Perhaps he's listed _now_ because he unsubscribed from
the real DB?

Like many, last Saturday I suddenly started receiving a veritable flood of
miscellaneous freenet-* messages despite my never having subscribed to those
particular freenet-* lists.

I, too, could get nothing useful at any
<http://lists.sourceforge.net/mailman/options/freenet-*/...@....> URL.
According to their DB, I was on freenet-chat, but with mail delivery disabled.
 I was also not subscribed to the other lists.  That was correct, but
certainly didn't explain the flooding.

Any attempt to list "my" other subscriptions from the ...options/freenet-chat/
page sat and did nothing -- not even a timeout before I got back from lunch.

Now, I am no longer subscribed to the freenet-chat list at sourceforge.net.
At least that unsubscribe seems to have worked.  Sadly, this has not stopped
the flood from the miscellaneous freenet-* lists.

However, after unsubscribing from freenet-chat entirely, I can now see "my"
subscription showing up for each individual offending flood list via the
corresponding .../options/freenet-*/ pages.  In addition, listing my "other
subscriptions" told me that my actual password is invalid, rather than just
hanging.

So I had "my" password mailed to me.  Lo and behold, it's not any password I
ever set, that's for sure.  It's four random upper and lower case letters.
Even worse, "my" password is different for every flood list.

And attempting to list "my" other subscriptions still hangs if I provide the
password corresponding to the freenet-* list whose options page I'm viewing.

I don't know whether sourceforge.net corrupted their subscriber database
themselves, or whether or not they allowed some dink to sign me up for
additional lists without notifying me and requiring closed-loop confirmation
for each subscription.  The first would be an unfortunate boneheaded mistake.
The second would be inexcusable.

Sourceforge.net contacts have been notified before, and are being CCed on this
message as well.  I really hope they fix their slamming problem, whatever the
cause.

For the nonce, no more sourceforge.net mail for me, at all.  It's times like
this that I really appreciate being in charge of my own MTA.

Richard