List:       freenet-tech
Subject:    Re: [Freenet-tech] Linux Advocacy with Freenet?
From:       Jon V <jon () valesh ! com>
Date:       2000-06-29 17:41:10

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Timm Murray wrote:

> So?  I don't expect a single, 30 GB file.  In fact, that will never happen
> if file splitting becomes manditory (this is under debate right now).

If "file" (or whatever the eff'en'speak is) splitting becomes a part of
the protocol in the right way, a lot of the arguments go away.

Files are split properly, there is no reason to suppose you couldn't be
transferring different parts of the same file from/to 10, 100, or 1200,
different nodes. If you were transferring a file from/to 25 nodes, each
connected with a 28.8 modem, you would have ~70K bytes/s of aggregate
bandwidth.  I am lucky if I can transfer a file at better than 70K/s using
the T1 at my office.  Therefore, dialup-connected nodes can serve T1
connected clients at full speed.

If proper fragmentation exists.

On top of that, you have another ?advantage?. There is nothing saying that
all the fragments of a given key will ever be on the same node. Therefore,
unless someone knows the name of the key (to extract it from the network
using the protocol) they have an even more difficult time figuring out its
source and content, because they may not be able to capture the entire
message to decrypt.

--
(C) 2000, Jon, All rights Reserved.