List:       freenet-philosophy
Subject:    [Freenet-philosophy] Freenet-philosophy] Control and Policy/the 'solution' of anarchism
From:       James Ashley <jimrthy () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-07-30 7:47:12

> I'll unpack some of your comments (which I take very

> seriously, by the way) for those of use who a)
> believe anything worth saying is worth saying in
> words of anglo-saxon derivation b) haven't spent the

> better part of a decade studying 'Continental'
> philosophy.

Woohoo!  Thanks! :)

> On the one hand, this last sentence is simply a
> restatement of the part about 'outcomes of
> historical methods', extended a bit to demonstrate
> the variety of discursive practices that affect
> ('effect?' :-/) us.

Should be affect, I think.  The way I remember it from
grade school, effect's the noun, affect the verb.  (At
least, that's the way this illiterate Southern hick
<cum> engineer uses them).

> This is the philosophical conundrum of anarchism.
> It's simple recursion.

Since when did recursion become simple?  Icck. :P

> While I am 'subjected' to discipline, discursive
> formations, etc, even my subjected subjectivity can
> subject itself to further formations!  Deleuze put
> it (much, much) better in his uncharacteristically
> pithy sentence: "I may be fleeing, but throughout my
> flight I am looking for a weapon."  That's it right
> there--a really useful philosophy of creative
> resistance, all it a single easy to understand
> sentence! <g>

Oh.  Since I couldn't follow what he said at all, I
thought you were talking about the kind of recursion
with which I'm familiar as a computer programmer.
That sounds totally different.

> Not sufficient, perhaps, but necessary. It isn't
> paradoxical to imagine a subjectivity being 'nested'

> inside various discursive formations and even (gasp)

> manipulating some of the conditions of its existence

> without ceasing to be subjected to others (this
> is obvious to everyone but philosophers, speaking as

> a philosopher).

ROFL.

> Ahem.  Fuck legitimation!  Be creative, don't wait
> for the legislation!

Hear, hear!  If the legislatures accept it, then it's
time to step things up yet another level.  Screw the
status quo!