List:       freenet-dev
Subject:    Re: [Freenet-dev] The last (?) word on a quick-release 0.2  music client
From:       willdye () freedom ! net
Date:       2000-07-31 22:09:30

Scott wrote:

> 0.3 isn't really far off.  Two weeks at the absolute latest.  Besides,
> Napster isn't going down until at least Sept 12th, according to the
> papers.

Yup.  There's no sense developing an 0.2 client this late unless we
absolutely have to.  If all we needed was some pretty wapping paper and
some ugly out-of-band communications to get file directories, it would
be a different story.  So it goes.

Oh, I may not have made this clear before: I don't plan on doing music
clients at all now.  My focus was on the get-it-out fast aspect, since I
can whip up a GUI pretty rapidly (especially in TCL/Tk).  If the time to
market is extended, however, then my existing skill-set is of little
value.  'Better to spend my time learning Java.

FWIW, I've been contacted by others who are working on such clients, and
they sounded like they'd be ready Real Soon Now.  Unless they all fall
down at once, I expect that 0.3 will indeed have a music client or two
attempting to run on it.  This creates a very real possibility that 0.3
will face the "catches on like wildfire" scenario.  IMO, this possibilty
translates into additional pressure on developers to insure that 0.3
will work "right"; or at least to advertise early and often that the
Freenet code can't handle that kind of growth yet.

May you live in interesting times.  :-)

--Will