List:       freenet-dev
Subject:    Re: [Freenet-dev] Roadmap
From:       Zem <zem () zip ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-07-27 0:46:04

Ian Clarke wrote:

> > If the current "everything on the web" thing (started by Hotmail) tells us
> > anything it is that people do not like to download specialized clients.
>
> Oh come on, there is no basis for that claim.  Hotmail is popular
> because it just-so-happens that reading and sending email over the web
> works reasonably well.  I could point to the success of Napster, Winamp,
> Netscape mail & news, and a whole host of clients that people do
> download and do use.

>From a usability point of view, custom clients are far better than
trying to cram stuff into a web browser (or other "do everything"
platform).

Jakob Nielsen has written a few articles on the subject:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000430.html
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/980920.html

--
zem@zip.com.au   F289 2BDB 1DA0 F4C4 DC87 EC36 B2E3 4E75 C853 FD93
zem.squidly.org  "..I'm invisible, I'm invisible, I'm invisible.."