List:       freenet-dev
Subject:    Re: [Freenet-dev] More new blood
From:       Ian Clarke <I.Clarke () dynamicblue ! com>
Date:       2000-05-27 16:34:58

Oskar Sandberg wrote:

> On Sat, 27 May 2000, Ian Clarke wrote:
> > Oskar Sandberg wrote:
> > >
> > > I think you are looking at the wrong GUI client. There is a class
> > > Freenet.client.GUI that Ian wrote over a weekend many months ago, but that was
> > > then discarded half finished (AFAIK). I think Ian took the wrong route by not
> > > integrating this with the existing RequestClient and InsertClient classes used
> > > for the CLI clients (they also need work though).
> >
> > If I recall I don't think RequestClient and InsertClient were written at
> > that time, at least, they certainly weren't suitable to be used by an
> > external process.  In fact, it was as a result of my efforts that I
> > wrote the "Client" class which I think prompted some of the client
> > abstraction work that you refer to above.
>
> Noop. I wrote the RequestClient and InsertClient classes a week or so before
> you wrote the GUI class. Their structure has not changed much since, and the
> abstraction used by the GUI clients (contrib.SimpleClient) wraps around them.

I stand corrected - but anyway work on the Freenet.client.GUI class
really ground to a halt before any significant work was done on the guts
of the comms stuff anyway, the reason work ground to a halt was due to
caution over creating a dependency on Swing and thus losing 1.1
compatibility.

I am still of the opinion that client development effort should be
concentrated on Freeloader.

Ian.