List:       freeipmi-devel
Subject:    conman support for sol instance of ipmiconsole
From:       Phil Pokorny <ppokorny () fed ! penguincomputing ! com>
Date:       2024-03-22 21:45:17

We have some new hardware in our lab where the BMC implementation uses
sol instances to provide connections to multiple serial ports in the
device.

And while both ipmiconsole and ipmitool both provide options for
specifying a specific instance, it doesn't appear that there is a way
to specify an instance in the conman.conf ipmiopt= string.

I should note that I'm currently running a pretty old build of conman
(0.2.8) and freeipmi (1.5.7-3) but I can update if this is solved in a
newer version.

Has anyone else run into this?  Any suggestions?

I suppose I could tell conman to shell out to ipmiconsole or ipmitool,
but the builtin libipmiconsole support is nice.

If I was to patch conman to add support for specifying an instance,
would the recommendation be to add a new "#:int" option to ipmiopts?
If so, any recommendations on letter? "I" for instance?

Thanks,
Phil P.