List:       freedos-user
Subject:    Re: [Freedos-user] A Couple of USB Device Issues
From:       Ralf Quint via Freedos-user <freedos-user () lists ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2023-07-31 23:42:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 7/31/2023 2:06 PM, DAMON GRAY via Freedos-user wrote:
> Greetings all. I'm new to this list, so I hope to not post anything
> inappropriate or out of order.
>
> I have an old Dell Optiplex 745 I'm trying to "FreeDos" and am having
> a couple of issues.
>
> I have yet to get the USB Laser mouse to work properly. It's an iHome
> FastTrack Laser Mouse - a cheap sucker, but it is comfortable in my hand.
Don't know that mouse, but it seems that this is rather a BIOS/USB port
issue of your computer or with that particular mouse. I have one of
those (Small form factor, the older one with the rounded edges and
silver side cover) and on that one, I used FreeDOS with both corded and
wireless Logitech/Dell El cheapo mice just fine

> The other issue is PCI sound cards. I have an Aureal Vortex2 and also
> a Soundblaster Audigy 4. I have fought with all three of these devices
> for almost two weeks and simply cannot get them to work properly.

PCI is likely a no-go, as those cards used memory addresses above 1MB
and/or higher I/O ports and/or IRQ and likely there will no no DOS
driver for those, so a Windows/Linux card only, at least the Creative
Labs doesn't list even DOS any more, the "lowest"/oldest you can select
in Windows 98. Anything I could find about the Aureal card also states
strictly Windows only...

Ralf

PS: I found just what looks like a 3rd party web site that list some
apparently DOS drivers at www.philscomputerlab.com/aureal-vortex-2.html,
you might wanna try that...