List:       freedos-user
Subject:    Re: [Freedos-user] VirtualBox
From:       john s wolter <johnswolter () wolterworks ! com>
Date:       2013-03-25 0:32:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Cheers,
John S Wolter
------------------------

> Dunno about the future. Honestly, most people probably would just
> throw it all away instead of trying hard to emulate it (which is
> tricky). If it's something they don't use (or sell or support), they
> don't care.   :-(

I'm more upbeat about this.  They could have already thrown away the
hardware but have not.  I had about six requests starting in January.
 Usually it sounds like this, "...say I have this DOS program which I've
used for years.  It does what I need.  Can you just get it running?".  Of
course I can.

Some even have source code which uses a compiler which I still have.   If
used by just a few people porting it as an update is not cost effective.
 DOS forever, I hope.

BTW some portions of U.S. Federal Aviation Authority's air traffic control
software from the 1960s & 70s ran on unique computers.  During the later
1980s it was found to be more efficient to emulate those old computers and
keep running that old software on newer and very different computers.

You can expect his behavior to continue.

> >> I know I sound like a broken record, but having VT-X enabled (if
> >> possible, esp. nested page tables or whatever) is the only best setup
> >> I know of.
> >
> > I'll see if that isn't already set to on, A.K.A "enabled". (An
> anti-jargon
> > statement :-)
>
> It's much much slower without VT-X. Quite painful, honestly.

Tried VT-X on my development laptop and it was just the same.  I have an i5
with dual graphics cards, normal & high performance 3D.  I directed
VirtualBox to use the normal.  The DOS program is has a character based
display.

> The other obvious test is how FreeDOS performs on the likes of Amazon's
> EC2.
>
> Would maybe be interesting, but I have no idea how to try something like
> that.

EC2 as well as Google Application Engine(not for FreeDOS) is on my list but
not for a month.

I have customers that need to have all resources online as they can't
maintain computers.  They never make backups and then expect I can raise
their computers from the dead.  I think I'll establish a $600 walking-dead
and no promise rebuild service for Laptops.

Cheers,
John S Wolter