List:       freedos-dev
Subject:    HTML reader
From:       Michael Teichmann <teichmann () tecmath ! de>
Date:       1996-07-31 8:47:17

As I promised earlier, I have written a *simple* HTML reader (HTMLread)
which can be used to convert HTML source code to plain text. The source
code (strict ANSI C) is available via

	http://cognac.informatik.uni-kl.de/~teichman/freedos.html

Most tags (especially links) are simply ignored, but character entities
are transformed, whitespace is compressed, and limited support is
provided for headings, horizontal lines, preformatted text, listings,
and even tables (!). I wrote this program in a few hours so the code is
not as structured as it should be, but HTMLread is absolutely stable.

Some usage hints: Use the /d switch when running under DOS, use the /v
switch to show error messages (file not found, HTML syntax errors, not
yet recognised tags).

I do *not* intend to convert this program to a full-functional browser.
The intention is to have a simple, small (it is) program that can be
used to *read* HTML so you don't have to "read through all the HTML
code". No more, no less. Comments, suggestions, bug reports are welcome.

--
Michael Teichmann
teichmann@tecmath.de