List:       freedos-dev
Subject:    Free-DOS Update
From:       ODO <Odo () cris ! com>
Date:       1996-07-28 1:47:46

Hello Steve,

     This message is in refference to the Free-DOS project in which you
you have been a part of, and have donated a large amount of your time
toward the development of some of the Free-DOS components.  What started
out 2 years ago as a neat idea, or something to work toward is finially
beginning to become a reality. Over 39 programmers from across the
world have helped to head the over 70 different utilities that will be
included with Free-DOS, this is not to mention the many more people who
have helped with the development of the command shell, the kernal, or
the Var-C compiler, and we are very appreaciative that you hve choosen
to volenteer your time and skills to take part in this massive project.
    I would like to appologize for how slow things may have seemed to
be moving over the last few weeks.  Since Morgan "Hannibal" Toal asked
me to assist him as the utilities development coardinator 2 weeks ago,
we have been working very hard toward getting the next release of
Free-DOS out, which will be the Alpha-5 release.  This next release will
be different from other previous releases as it will be much more
structured and organized as we continue to work toward releasing our
first beta release, and eventually our official public release.
    What I am attempting to do at this point is two fold: First, I'm
trying to let all of the developers who have contributed to the project
know that things are continuing to press on, and in fact are beginning
to pick up speed.  Secondly, I am trying to get a status update with
some fo the projects you were listed as being a part of.
    Below is a list of projects that I have you involved in :

XCOPY - I have you listed as programming this utility, but I do not
have the binaries or source for it.  If you are not done with this yet,
that is fine, I know how important your time is, but if you could,
please let me know when you think you should have a preliminary version
ready.  If you no longer feel you can commit to this, please let me know
so I can keep this open for someone else who might want to work on it.

    If you could, please let me know what the status of these projects
are as soon as possible.  I am hopeing to get the next free-DOS release
out by the end of next week, but alot of that will depend on how quickly
everyone responds to this.  Thanks again for your help, time, and effort
with the Free-DOS project,  Let's keep the spirit going strong, show the
rest of the world just what we can do!

    Thanks for your help, and I look forward to talking to you more in
the future.  If there's anyway that me or Morgan can help you out,
please let us know.

Bryon Quackenbush <odo@cris.com>
Free-DOS Utilities Development Coardinator