List:       freedos-dev
Subject:    Subject: Re: Losing focus?
From:       Robert Debath <rdebath () cix ! compulink ! co ! uk>
Date:       1996-05-20 22:42:00

From: Hasdi R Hashim <hasdi@umich.edu>
> I just found out where Alan Cox and co stash their linux-elks stuff!
ftp://linux.mit.edu/pub/ELKS/...
> linux-elks has been using bcc, a 16-bit 8086 compiler. If I am not
> mistaken, it compiles as standard EXE but maybe I should double check. One
> catch: AFAIK, you can only run it under Linux.
Well ... not completely true.

1) bcc (+as86+ld86) as standard will create unix style a.out files.
2) ld86 (the linker) has now be modified to be able to produce DOS COM files,
   these are a little odd in that they're small model not tiny so you've
   actually got a 64k data segment BUT the size of text+initilised data
   must be less than 64k.
3) The programs (bcc,as86,ld86) will NOT currently compile themselves to
   DOS COM files, the compiler part is too large.
4) The programs WILL compile with MSC 5.1 in large model.
5) A minimal library _does_ exist, unix compatible stuff (strings, standard
   I/O etc) + a few msdos 'system calls' and i86 'useful bits'
6) There's currently no way to re-generate the library under DOS, only Linux.
7) The compiler has support for floating point ... but it's broken :-(
   Bruce (Evans) is looking into this ...

So in all it's a good news/bad news situation :-)

BTW: There'll be another escape real soon now ...

--
Rob.                           (Robert de Bath <rdebath@cix.compulink.co.uk>)