List:       freedos-dev
Subject:    RE: [fd-dev] on overdoing MS syntax compatibility
From:       tom ehlert <te () drivesnapshot ! de>
Date:       2003-11-26 10:30:58

> Yes, I am using > 64 MB XMS support. But the "kill memory beyond 64 MB"
> thing sounds like "you can load emm386 after an XMS-above-64MB-driver,
> but you will be unable to reach past the 64 MB boundary after loading
> emm386...".

exactly - it just protects the user from crashing.

> In THAT case, I think it is easier to load only an XMS driver
> which can handle max. 64 MB anyway.
use tried and true HIMEM then.

> > However FDAPM (however ingeniously invented that name) does at least
> > partially the same thing, with a completely different (and surprising)
> > interface.
>
> Partially true. I have added undocumented options to allow MS style
> syntax like "FDAPM STD".

a) it's undocumented
b) as I understand it
   device=POWER.EXE
will imply 'STD'. no need to give ANY arguments.

> The difference is that FDAPM is a command line
> tool while POWER can only go resident when loaded from config sys.
> You cannot load FDAPM from config sys.
so theres a good reason why
  device=power.exe
should be replaced by
  install=power.exe

I still don't see why this should be replaced by
  install=FDAPM.exe
or even
  install=FDAPM.exe SomeCrazyProgrammerStyleArguments.

I don't mind your 'SomeCrazyProgrammerStyleArguments', as
long as
  POWER ADV
and
  POWER STD
do something reasonable.
BTW: it's somewhat over my level of understanding to understand these
'SomeCrazyProgrammerStyleArguments', what they do, and when to use what.

> Feedback wanted: Should "FDAPM" (without arguments) display the status?
> Then you have to explicitly use "HELP" or "/?" to view the FDAPM help
> screen.

YES.
   POWER has been already loaded.
   total runtime 2:00:00
   CPU idle 85%
   current CPU  temperature ..
   current CASE temperature ...
BTW
   LBAcache has been already loaded.
   cachesize 16MB
   total read requests 3.234.000.123 for 1.234.000.123.512 byte
   cachedread requests 234.000.123.512 byte = 75%
wouldn't hurt either.

> > > %errorlevel%
> > is done the WinNT way - why reinvent the wheel.
>
> Tyler wrote me: If a program does set errorlevel=bogus_value, FreeCOM
> builtin %errorlevel% variable will be hidden by the bogus value. So he
> suggests that FreeCOM should not allow programs to create an errorlevel
> variable. Does WinNT do the same?

this was implemented the WinNT way - if you WANT to overwrite
%errorlevel%, you certainly can.

tom