List:       freedos-dev
Subject:    [fd-dev] FreeDOS NC 3.1: planned contrib from NCC / more TODOs
From:       Eric Auer <eric () CoLi ! Uni-SB ! DE>
Date:       2003-11-25 21:21:42

Hi, looking at the news item on freedos.org, I found this:
http://nccorpstemp.o-f.com/fd10list.htm

NC are planning to write a dblspace and a driver.sys driver,
a dosshell (file manager / maybe multitasking?) and an
interlnk/intersrv ("network drive" using parallel or serial
cable).

I think that we do have a file manager and cable file transfer
stuff, but full interlnk/intersrv might be nice.

I would prefer driver.sys to be done by a kernel builtin
config sys command (just like drivparm) and I doubt that
dblspace would be useful/stable, at least if it allows to
write to the compressed drive. Read-only compressed drives
might be actually useful, though.

CCing NCCorps about that... Hint: The 1.0 TODO list on
the NCCorps list is not very up to date. If I were to list
the most "sticky" TODO items, I would say: fdisk (sometimes
failing to detect disks), format (working on it...),
mirror (probably fat12 takes so long because nobody needs it),
print (hello maintainer! what are your plans?), edit (give me
a clue why error handling does not work, and tell me keys with
which I may replace ^C and Shift-Backspace (for copy and undo)
so that I can remove the builtin special keyboard driver...),

Note that NCCorps are working on post 1.0 items only, so no
need to hurry. For the pre 1.0 things, I think that Michael,
Imre, Aitor and Arkady will be able to improve emm386, chkdsk,
move, display/printer, mode, defrag, scandisk, mem. Looking
forward to that (and offering my help if it is really needed)
 :-)).

(I think Rob also has a wildcard-undelete and lots of others
have lots of other improvements planned, we will find out!)

Eric.

PS: NCCorps message board is currently defunct, while their
server is moving.