List:       freedos-dev
Subject:    [fd-dev] RE ALL: compressed help?
From:       Rob Platt <worldwiderob () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-11-24 19:49:12

Hi

Imre Leber wrote:
> Did you notice that the zip library would not fit in a 16 bit DOS
> program, not enough memory. Better just put everything in one file
> uncompressed (like i do in defrag), or use zlib to compress help
> pages.

info-zip's Unzip source code compiles to either 16-bit or 32-bit in the
MS-DOS version. It's specifically designed that way, which is very
handy. (info-zip's source code is free so no problem there).

Using zlib boils down to using the gzip format, and therefore also means
having to use tar to retain directory information. Perhaps it would be
hasty to rule this out after all. (tar.gz isn't as popular as zip
amongst FreeDOSers, but this is not the only consideration.)

As you say, I could just bundle everything into 1 file uncompressed.
Perhaps using tar. Nice and simple...

Regards
Rob