List:       freedos-dev
Subject:    Re: [fd-dev] Memory Management
From:       johnsonlam <johnson () kddi ! com ! hk>
Date:       2003-08-01 2:58:10

Hello Eric,

Thanks for your information!

>http://www.uwe-sieber.de/ has UMBPCI and links some similar tools,
>which enable hardware RAM in the UMB range and turn them into UMBs.
>This does not work for all motherboards, but works well for me.
>No EMS offered by this.

But why there's no mention in FreeDOS website?

>EMS40 and EMM286 use XMS or BIOS extended memory to simulate (slow)
>EMS - unless combined with something which gives you UMBs, they will
>consume up to 64k DOS RAM as page frame.

But the fact is, since MS-DOS 4.x the de-facto standard of CONFIG.SYS
is HIMEM+EMM386, and FreeDOS didn't provide (or I can't find) sample
configuration of the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Also QEMM do too much for us, without it I can hardly manage the 640K
easily.

>FDXXMS offers most parts of XMS 3.0 interface which should offer
>more than 64 MB XMS while still being compatible with the classic
>interface. If you use 0.92 and things break, try 0.91 (although
>0.91 is supposed to have another bug, assuming certain registers
>to be set at some moments, 0.92 might have a bug in VDISK detection).
>If both do not work, a detailed analysis might be very interesting,
>as FD*XMS* might have bugs which HIMEM does not have and maybe even
>the other way round. However, you can use HIMEM without EMM386, of
>course. You can also use FDXMS (only normal XMS for up to 64 MB) or
>FDXMS286 (compatible version, runs even on 286) if FDXXMS and HIMEM
>are not what you want.
>
>You should be able to set DOS=HIGH without problems - only DOS=UMB
>can cause crashes if the UMB manager (EMM386 or UMBPCI or ...) has
>problems. We also suspect the new SHSUCDX 2.x to have broken UMB
>allocation, so if you do not load that one...? The old SHSUCDX 1.x
>did not show that problem. You may also want to load CTMOUSE without
>loadhigh/lh and with explicit /W (do not load into UMB) switch.

Thanks, I thinks it's a combination of bug (I use the latest version,
stupid me!)

>PS: Please try to use single stepping mode to find out which drivers
>cause the problems. Can be entered by pressing F8 at boot time.

No problem, we old DOS user are used to trouble shooting in this way.

What I can suggest is setup some working samples for new users as a
reference. Or provide startup distribution (Steve's Odin is good, but
not complete).

Rgds,
Johnson Lam.

香 港 打 出 既 長 途 電 話 , 當 然 係 15880
Johnson Lam

KDDI HONG KONG LIMITED.
10th Floor West, Warwick House,
Taikoo Place, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong
Tel: +852 - 2919 5244 Fax: +852 - 2868 4932
E-mail: johnson@kddi.com.hk