List:       freedos-dev
Subject:    RE: [fd-dev] Free DOS for point of sale terminals - who knows mor
From:       Kristaps Kaupe <Kristaps () turiba ! lv>
Date:       2003-04-30 13:47:25

> Hi, I told Aitor that many point of sale terminals in smaller
> shops are still DOS based (counting products and prices, maybe
> networked with some database...). Do you think FreeDOS is good
> enough by now to form an alternative? As we know, it is very
> hard to obtain fresh MS DOS licenses, so... maybe we should
> promote our alternative a bit.
> However, Aitor thinks that we should wait for FreeDOS 1.0 first.
> Opinions?

In Latvia i saw three systems on POS terminals - DOS, Windows 3.1 (very
rare) and Windows 9x. DOS is mostly used in smaller shops, big
"hypermarkets" use Windoze. About they hardware I only know that they come
with grayscale VGA monitors.

My brother has one old 286 POS terminal with Hercules video, 1 MB RAM, 40 MB
HDD, and LCD display connected to (if I remember correctly) two RS-232C
ports. It was driven by MS-DOS 4.0 and some DBMS (FoxPro or Clipper, but I
don't know for 100% because brother deleted all POS stuff from it).

Kristaps