List:       freedos-dev
Subject:    Re: [fd-dev] Errors extracting FreeDOS files
From:       Thomas Nittel <Thomas.Nittel () t-online ! de>
Date:       2003-04-28 20:38:45

Gregory Pietsch wrote:

 > I suggest trying a different mirror site. Maybe that one copied the files
 > with errors.

Today I downloaded these files once more from
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/system/.
Now I was able to extract the files chkdsk02s.zip, chkdsk02x.zip,
dfrg031s.zip, diskcmp07s, edline.zip, edline11, rxcopy11 without errors.

The following files still produce the reported error messages when they
are tried to be extracted:
dskcmp07s.zip:  error[C:\...\dskcmp07s.zip]: missing 32 bytes in Zip
                 file (attempting to process anyway)
dskcmp07x.zip:  error[C:\...\dskcmp07x.zip]: missing 65 bytes in Zip
                 file (attempting to process anyway)

loadfnt_fnt.zip: Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid
                  archive.
ttf2fnt10.zip:   Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid
                  archive.

I downloaded the files also from
http://freedos.wermlandsdata.com/files/
http://custom.lab.unb.br/pub/os/freedos/files/
http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/freedos/files/
Extracting these files yields to the same error messages.

As suggested by Eric Auer on 27.04.03 - 22:35 I downloaded
ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/WIN32/unz550xN.exe today
and tried to extract
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/system/diskcmp07x.zip.

The output is
C:\temp\zip>unzip ..\dskcmp07x
Archive:  ../dskcmp07x.zip
error [../dskcmp07x.zip]:  missing 65 bytes in zipfile
         (attempting to process anyway)
error [../dskcmp07x.zip]:  attempt to seek before beginning of zipfile
         (please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile
in the
         appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)
         (attempting to re-compensate)
         inflating: DISKCOMP.EXE             bad CRC 4e833b13  (should be
d7774125)
C:\temp\zip>

As you can see unz550xN.exe produces the same error message asWinZip 8.1
SR-1.

Eric Auer wrote:
 > Maybe you were using a somehow broken browser or firewall or
something

To doublecheck the results I downloaded
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/diskcomp/dskcmp07x.zip

at home on my private computer where I use Windows NT, Internet Explorer
and PowerArchiver 6.11.0 (1st March, 2001).
A error message message appears, too, saying 'There is CRC error on
file:DISKCOMP.EXE'.

Strange. Perhaps the errors will be completely vanished in a few days?

--
Thomas Nittel