List:       freedos-dev
Subject:    re: Re: [fd-dev] my disk utilities
From:       Eric Auer <eric () CoLi ! Uni-SB ! DE>
Date:       2003-04-28 19:07:42

Hi Alain ("CosmoData" :-)),
I think BC 3.x / 4.x is a problem. Try DJGPP instead. However,
CHKDSK could be like: 16 bit version -> no FAT32 / 32 bit version
-> with FAT32.
The 16 bit memory limitations make FAT32 checking a pain, probably
not worth the effort.

I still have my DOS DJGPP 32 bit version of DOSFSCK around, which
can do FAT32. You may want to improve this rather than porting
CHKDSK to 32 bit. However, For 16 bit, CHKDSK is getting really good,
and I was even planning to drop DOSFSCK for DOS for that reason.

The DOSFSCK that I have has a few bugs: The Linux maintainer told
that he had shortly fixed them in the Linux version, and then
vanished. If you manage to contact him, go for it. If we get the
bugfixes or fix ourself, I would be willing to add disk write
drivers afterwards. Currently, DOSFSCK is R/W for devices and
images (all that the Linux version needs) and readonly for real
drives (I added a low level disk read driver for DOS, but not yet
for Win32 FAT32 - FreeDOS probably will not need one for FAT32
checking!?!?).

Thanks for helping Imre and good luck in finding the remaining bugs.
By the way, I seem to remember a SCANDISK user interface for our
new CHKDSK, is this really on the way? We know that the OLD version
of SCANDISK is only a mostly empty user interface without much use
in scanning drives, so do not confuse both versions.

Eric.