List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Running FBSD and X11R6 inside a virtual machine.
From:       Richard Bamford <rbamfordz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-05-19 21:52:54

Hi,

    I have found an old CD inside a book which has on it a version of FBSD
from 1995 with plenty of old programs and games i'd love to have a go at.
The disk installed fine in Virtual Box, now i can program 16-bit C using
BCC!
    There is just one problem. The version of X provided by the disk
(X11R6) and the FBSD installation doesn't have any drivers for the new
VMSVGA emulated device. When i start X through startx or the init command,
the chipset and vendor are not recognized and X defaults to some tiny
resolution. The upside is that X actually displays the right information
along with the right colours it is just annoying that the window is such a
low resolution. Is there any way I can set the builtin driver to a higher
resolution?

Thanks,
Richard