List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Re: How to submit XKB layout variant to Xorg?
From:       Petri Lehtinen <petri () digip ! org>
Date:       2019-10-23 8:18:09

Hi!

> I added a custom XKB layout variant to /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst and \
> /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/cz. I can set it using setxkbmap and it works. When I \
> upgrade my distribution or update Xorg, the variant is gone.

If you add your variant as a new symbols file, e.g. /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/mycz, \
you can enable it with setxkbmap -layout mycz and upgrading your distribution or xorg \
packages won't probably remove that file.

You don't even need to duplicate the cz symbols. You can just use the include \
directive to include the sections you need from the cz symbols file (or any other \
symbols file) and add your own customizations.

Petri