List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    =?utf-8?q?How_to_submit_XKB_layout_variant_to_Xorg=3F?=
From:       <matej.bjgar () atlas ! cz>
Date:       2019-10-22 7:38:09

I added a custom XKB layout variant to /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst and \
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/cz. I can set it using setxkbmap and it works. When I \
upgrade my distribution or update Xorg, the variant is gone. From what I've read, I \
concluded I can't reliably add a custom variant (or any layout modification) to XKB.

My variant is Colemak optimised for writing Czech letters. Some languages have its \
own Colemak variant in preinstalled layouts but not Czech and anyone typing with \
Colemak in Czech can use it.

What has to be done to have a variant added for distribution with Xorg?

The only answer I found is at \
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-July/026537.html but the link in \
that letter leads to a site with text "Sorry, entering a bug into the product \
xkeyboard-config has been disabled."

I'll be thankful for information relevant to this, especially for an answer to my \
question or some information about how to reliably add keyboard variant to XKB. \
xorg@lists.x.org: X.Org support