List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    ZaphodHeads and Java font problem
From:       Fabian Keller <mail () fabiankeller ! de>
Date:       2017-04-20 14:55:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,
at my company we have a Java UI with two separate windows. From the main
window a second one is opened on a different monitor. X is configured to
have a separate display id for each monitor (zaphodhead). This
configuration worked quiet well for a couple of years on SLES11 machines
with different NVidia cards and Java versions. With the same NVidia cards
and the same Java version (but a newer X server version) it doesn't work on
a CentOS or Fedora linux. The fonts on the second window seem to be
transparent.

We tested different Java versions, Intel and NVidia drivers and Window
Manager.

I have written a little Java demo UI which reproduces the problem.
Please take a look at the following repository where i placed the code,
some screenshots and the configurations we tested.

https://github.com/f4n/ZaphodHeadsDemoUI

Do you have any ideas what we are missing in our xorg.conf? Or is the
zaphodhead
mode discontinued? Do you think it's a Java problem even if the same Java
version is working on an older X?

With xrandr/xinerama the UI works fine but we have the problem to place
different applications on the correct monitor. I know about the -geometry
option but not all applications support this (like firefox), wmctrl works
for firefox but not with xeyes (for example). Is there a common or better
way?

Kind regards,
Fabian