List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Re: Color Management
From:       nicolas.mailhot () laposte ! net
Date:       2015-09-21 18:12:47

----- Mail original -----
De: "Martin Kaffanke"

Hi,

> Is there a way to make colors on the display looking the same as on the printer, by
> printing a Page and compare the screen on sight?

That's not really useful, unless you never intend to use your pictures with any other \
printer or screen (ie never share them with someone else, never use them once the \
printer or screen dies and need replacing)

What you usually want is to calibrate both the screen and the printer against an \
ideal color target.

The first one is quite easy nowadays – buy a color probe compatible with argyllcms, \
launch gnome color manager, let it display hundreds of color patches and compute a \
color correction profile. You need minimal screen quality for that – no correction \
will salvage a screen with little color depth or too strong a color drift (read \
hardware reviews, some reviewers do test screen colorimetry)

I suspect the second one can get quite expensive, if only because lighting a few \
pixels is a lot faster than getting some ink on paper and probing the result (also, \
you need different color sensors for screens and paper, many color probes only work \
with the first device class, and anything but professional paper and ink will \
probably change from batch to batch). Unless you really want to calibrate your own \
hardware, I'd suggest to leave this part to professional printers once you've proofed \
your files on a calibrated screen.

You can probably approximate printer calibration by comparing prints to a calibrated \
screen display. IIRC you can also buy expensive pre-printed color targets, which are \
waranted to have stable accurate colors that won't shift with time. \