List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Re: ANN: xterm-309
From:       Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu () freedesktop ! org>
Date:       2014-07-23 0:19:10

On Jul 22, 2014, at 12:35, Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 11:12:18PM -0700, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 13, 2014, at 15:11, Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com> wrote:
> >
> > > * modify  configure  script  to  work  around  debris left by XQuartz
> > > upgrades.
> >
> > What is this about?  This is the first I've heard of anything...
>
> I have two Mac mini (servers), and had upgraded the older one from
> Snow Leopard to Mavericks last winter (more or less uneventful).
> Noticing a comment about Yosemite, I upgraded the newer one from
> Mountain Lion to Mavericks.  On this upgrade, I found problems
> getting the configure script to find the ICE library.  The cause
> was that in the upgrade, reinstall of XQuartz, etc, the newer one
> has a different directory layout than the other (though one would
> assume they'd be identical).

They should be identical.  XQuartz installs to /opt/X11 and sets up the /usr/X11 \
symlink.  There was a bug in the 10.9.0 and 10.9.1 installer (fixed in the 10.9.2 and \
later versions) that accidentally reinstalled the stubs even if XQuartz was already \
installed on the system.

This was discussed on x11-users last year, and users were recommended to reinstall \
XQuartz after upgrading to those versions of Mavericks.  Most users upgraded anyways \
because we released a new version of XQuartz around that time anyways.

> The difference is that the problematic one has an actual /usr/X11
> directory (with xstub's rather than real libraries), while the other
> has a symbolic link to /opt/X11.

The XQuartz installer will remove the stubs and install the /usr/X11 symlink. The \
sole purpose of the stubs is to allow legacy applications that link against \
/usr/X11/lib to trigger the X11redirect app which just prompts users to install \
XQuartz.  Building against those stubs isn't really supported.

I looked at your aclocal.m4 changes for this.  You should just check pkg-config \
results.  If the user tries to build against the /usr/X11 stubs, they'll be informed \
that X11 isn't installed at that location.  With the symlink pointing to the \
installed XQuartz, they'd get the correct pkg-config data.

--Jeremy