List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Re: Xwindow stack level
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-16 23:33:07

On Mittwoch, 16. April 2014 11:39:51 CEST, LIDE wrote:
> I decode video and show it.I create a Independent window to
> show my video.The window I create cover the parent window's
> contents.For example, the Right-click menu in parent window is
> covered by the video window.I'm confused with that.Do you have
> any suggests for that?

In general, please keep asking xorg@freedesktop.org

There're four possible causes:
1) the window is tagged "override_redirect" (not managed by the WM, thus not put into \
a managed stack, but simply on top of everything) 2) the rightclick menu is NOT \
tagged "override_redirect" and considered below by the WindowManager 3) There is no \
WM (thus all windows are considered "override_redirect" and new one will simply open \
on top of everything unless the client restacks them itself, ie. plays WM) 4) there's \
no compositor, the video uses an overlay technique (xv/vdpau) and th popups color \
matches the color key of the overlay (the GPU will replace the matching color in the \
matching region with the video content, bypassing X11)

A window manager would be sth. like fvwm, kwin, compiz, metacity, lwm, e16, openbox, \
mutter and a dozen other variants - desktop environments like gnome, kde, xfce, lxde \
usually run a WM, but if you just start an X11 display server, there won't be one - \
and "something else" (your client, i assume) has to control the stacking order of all \
relevant client windows.

Cheers,
Thomas