List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Re: cirque smartcat touchpad
From:       Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer () who-t ! net>
Date:       2012-11-22 22:50:22

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 08:50:35AM -0800, Sebastian Glita wrote:
> > the main question is whether it is supported by the kernel. X hardly de=
als
> > with touchpads directly these days, it's handled by the (linux) kernel =
and
> =

> > we see the evdev interface. So you need to first check if the kernel
> > supports it.
> =

> Hmm... There seems to be no indication in synaptics USB kernel driver abo=
ut "easycat/smartcat" (drivers/input/mouse).
> =

> Next "roundabout" question would be, given the FAQ page says an "alike" O=
S works:
> =

> "... and the USB Cirque Smart Cat=AE (GP410U-xxxx) ... are recommended Ci=
rque trackpad for=A0
> the Macintosh OS.=A0
> =A0 =A0 * Mac OS 8.5 or later is required for both of these trackpads.=A0
> =A0 =A0 * Mac OS X or later is required for the vertical scrolling featur=
e."
> =

> how far can I assume linux kernel would recognize it too? I know that whe=
reas usually linux isn't specified, but mac is, there is a good chance a de=
vice would work with both mac and linux...

the two are unrelated. it may work, it may not, sorry. Generally the older a
device, the higher the chance of it working but I really don't know in this
case.

Cheers,
   Peter