List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Re: Awfull rendering of fonts in KDE terminal with nouveau  =?iso-8859-2?q?1=2E0=2E3=09drivers?=
From:       Łukasz_Ma¶ko <ed () yen ! ipipan ! waw ! pl>
Date:       2012-11-08 9:23:13

Dnia poniedzia=B3ek, 5 listopada 2012, Thomas L=FCbking napisa=B3:
[...]
> Observation:
> you're running 1600x1200@85Hz while basic Single Link DVI has it's
> maximum at 1600x1200@60Hz
> =

> To run higher resolutions or frequency, the entire chain has to support
> reduced blanking capabilities and there's recently been a mail which
> suggested this was broken in "older" versions of "something" (worked in
> some recent ubuntu, but not debian)
> =

> This would impact _everything_ but might be only notable in the
> bright-on-black context of konsole.
> =

> So you should either absolutely ensure that the entire HW chain (output,
> cable, input) is Dual Link DVI (full pins, no gap the the plug) or try
> the outcome of 1600x1200@60Hz (yes, 60Hz on crts suck) or try a vga
> connection.
> =

> xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1600x1200 --rate 60

So I've just checked it. And... nouveau is in fact NOT changing refresh rat=
e =

AT ALL. I mean, it is not fisically changing anything. After I execute the =

above command, xrandr says, that the refresh rate has been changed (the '*' =

mark is moved to the 60Hz frequency. But my monitor, which has an ability t=
o =

report its current refresh rate, still reports the same (91.2kHz, 85Hz) =

rates. So it seems, that --rate parameter does exactly NOTHING in the =

nouveau case. Isn't it strange? I can change resolutions, but I cannot =

change frequency...

Still, since I was not able to check the above, no solution for my problem =

has been found. Any more ideas? Anyone? For now I'm forced to switch back t=
o =

NVidia.
-- =

=A3ukasz Ma=B6ko                                                           =
 _o)
Lukasz.Masko(at)ipipan.waw.pl                                           /\\
Registered Linux User #61028                                           _\_V
Ubuntu: staroafryka=F1skie s=B3owo oznaczaj=B1ce "Nie umiem zainstalowa=E6 =
Debiana"