List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Re: X resolution on intel G31 not better than 1024x768
From:       Marty Jack <martyj19 () comcast ! net>
Date:       2011-06-24 1:46:13

On 06/23/2011 09:27 PM, Alex Janssen wrote:
> On 06/23/2011 06:09 PM, Alex Janssen wrote:
> > Hello to all.  Hope you are well.
> >
> > Sorry for this long post, but I'm stumped. <<snip>>
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Alex
> >
> I'm stumped no more.
> Glad I caught this before anyone spent any time on it. ;-)
>
> It's the KVM causing this poblem.  I should'a guessed.
> I connected the monitor directly to the G31M and Linux boots perfectly.
> Guess I'll look for a better KVM.  This one's a "Cables to go" if anyone's \
> interested. If you have a suggestion for a good KVM, please post it.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> --
> Ourwoods.org
>
> It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than \
> by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. \
> - Thomas Sowell (245)

It is typical for KVM switches to cache the EDID.  Sometimes they do it wrong.  I \
would have suggested that, had you not figured it out.  If anyone else should have \
this in the future, experimenting without the KVM in the circuit would be something \
to try first.  This also comes up a lot with digital TV setups. \