List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Re: bugs.freedesktop.org SSL certificate (was: HTML colouring in
From:       Krzysztof =?utf-8?q?=C5=BBelechowski?= <giecrilj () stegny ! 2a ! pl>
Date:       2011-01-14 17:45:06

Dnia czwartek, 13 stycznia 2011 o 22:01:37 Alan Coopersmith napisał(a):
> On 01/13/11 04:29 AM, Krzysztof Żelechowski wrote:
> > The problem with being a maintainer for anything related to the Free Desktop is \
> > the invalid security certificate for Bugzilla. <URL: \
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2010-December/011735.html >
>
> Seems like that's mainly a problem with you.   Hundreds of other people
> manage to successfully get work done with that limitation.   In any case,
> that problem has to be solved by the freedesktop folks (cc'ed) - as just
> one of their hosted projects, we can't control it (though the X.Org
> Foundation has an open offer to pay the cost of a certificate if the
> freedesktop admins will obtain and install it, since the Firefox warning
> is scary and confusing to inexperienced users, and is an obstacle to
> them filing bug reports).

I hope I am the only one who bothered to use other communication channels to signal \
the problem, not the only one who can see the problem. Note that there is no need to \
pay because a basic certificate is available for free.

> Alternative solutions include:
>
> - ignoring bugzilla, the only thing that uses SSL.   Most of the work of
> a maintainer involves ssh connections (git over ssh or posting new
> releases via scp to the download site).

Confused.  The maintainer has to maintain to bug reports, doesn't she?

> - using the e-mail interfaces to bugzilla when possible.

Like xorg-bugzilla-noise?  The noise stopped in 2005.

> - not worrying about bugzilla not being certified, since the only data
> being secured is your bugzilla password, which can be completely unique
> to that site so doesn't risk anything else.   For most users, there is
> no private data in bugzilla beyond your password.   (A few of us have
> access to the non-public security bugs before coordinated public
> disclosure, but you won't be one of those folks as a new maintainer.)

I would consider making an exception if the problem were hard to solve.  I still hope \
it will be solved soon for the benefit of all FreeDesktop users.  My goodness, it is \
not a corner case niche project used by several hobbyists, it is the core of \
contemporary free desktop environments!

> - offering to help the freedesktop admins solve the problem instead of
> constantly harping on them about it.   As noted above, money for a
> certificate is not an issue - it's the work involved that needs to
> be handled.

I am willing to help but that is unfortunately not possible.  Getting a security \
certificate requires entering a legal agreement with the CA.  Even webmasters cannot \
do it on their own (unless authorized, of course).

Best regards,
Chris