List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    getting raw mouse input
From:       Christoph Schied <Christoph.Schied () uni-ulm ! de>
Date:       2010-10-31 13:30:28

Dear Xorg list,

I'm currently working on a game and I want to get relative mouse events
(I'm not interested in the position, only the movement in X/Y) with as
low latency as possible and without any kinds of acceleration applied to
it. What is the best way to achieve this in a portable manner?

I had a look in the ezquake[1] sourcecode, they have implemented an
input method which directly reads the evdev mouse events from
/dev/input/eventX. This however has the downside that the user needs
read permission for /dev/input/eventX, which usually isn't the case.

So what would be the best input method for my application?

greetings,
	Christoph

[1] http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/