List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Monitor not automatically managed by X  after hotplugged
From:       "Jacques, Hugo" <Hugo.Jacques () verint ! com>
Date:       2010-09-24 18:57:51

I am running an Intel 945G-based system (with only a VGA output)
With a Linux 2.6.35.5 kernel, Xserver 1.9.0, xf86-video-intel 2.12.901 on a homegrown \
distro.

If I:

1. Boot my system with the VGA cable disconnected
2. Wait for X to start
3. Plug the VGA monitor into the system

Then, VGAmonitor gets the console output, not X.
Note that even if I do a "xrandr --output VGA1 --mode auto" between above steps 2 and \
3,this changes nothing. Same thing if I force the mode to be, say, 640x480.

But after step 3 if y do a xrandr --output VGA1 --mode auto, X then manages the video \
output as expected.

This kind of thing used to work with 2.9.29.6 kernel, and xf86-video-intel 2.7.0 (I \
know, it has been a while. KMS has appeared since then.)

Any idea if this is "as designed" or a bug ?

I noted that I get a similar behavior on Ubuntu 10.10, which has more or less similar \
components: If the VGA monitor is now plugged in when system boots, no luck, it won't \
fly.

Right now, the only workaround I can think of is listen to the uvent generated by the \
monitor plugging and then call xrandr. Any better ideas?

Hugo Jacques, ing.
Verint Systems Inc.
Email    hugo.jacques@verint.com
This electronic message may contain proprietary and confidential information of \
Verint Systems Inc., its affiliates and/or subsidiaries. The information is intended \
to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named above.  If you are not \
the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this e-mail for the intended \
recipient), you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone this message or \
any information contained in this message.  If you have received this electronic \
message in error, please notify us by replying to this e-mail.