List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Re: Severe memory leaks make X.org unuseable
From:       Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk () voicenet ! com>
Date:       2009-02-19 9:33:09

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:18:39 +0000
John Tapsell <johnflux@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/19 Maciej Grela <maciej.grela@gmail.com>:
> > 2009/2/19 milnser43200@yahoo.com <milnser43200@yahoo.com>:
> > > There are very serious and severe memory leaks under X.org with the savage \
> > > driver. I am on FreeBSD. This is a very serious problem as it consumes all \
> > > system memory adn causes other applications to crash. It is totally unuseable \
> > > and intolerable and is simply shoddy and sloppy programming. I know for a fact \
> > > XFree86 did not leak memory like this, XFree86 started at about 25 MB and \
> > > stayed there. What is going on here? Every since the X.org project was started \
> > > the quality of X distribution has plummeted drastically.
> >
> > Post some details (hardware ? xorg version ? driver version ? logs ?)
> > because there isn't enough information in your post to even start
> > investigating the issue.
>
> From his previous posts[1], it looks like he's talking about ProSavage
> DDR on Freebsd.  I attempted to try to help by getting him to run
> pmap, but it seems freebsd doesn't have pmap.

I have no idea if it's the same thing you are referring to, but there
is pmap port in sysutils/pmap on FreeBSD.  It does not have a -d
option, but 'pmap pidofxorg' gives me:

2780:	/usr/local/bin/X
Address   Kbytes     RSS  Shared    Priv Mode  Mapped File
08048000    1484    1308       -    1308 r-x   /usr/local/bin/Xorg
081BB000      24      24       -      24 rw-   /usr/local/bin/Xorg
081C1000     148     148       -     148 rw-     [ anon ]
081E6000     104       4       -     104 rwx     [ anon ]
281BB000     148     104     148       - r-x   /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
281E0000       8       8       -       8 rw-   /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
<snip>

Adam

believed to be clean.