List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Re: Siliconmotion driver update for XFree 4.3?
From:       Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade <pcpa () mandriva ! com ! br>
Date:       2008-11-29 2:10:34

Gerhart, Bjoern wrote:

  Hi,

> > But
> > some of the features in that driver include randr 1.2 (with
> > multihead),
>
> Before we had siliconmotion driver release 1.4.9, we could not operate an SM712 \
> chip as secondary graphics adapter, while the onboard chipset (in our case driven \
> by i810) provided the primary graphics adapter. Release 1.4.9 supported this kind \
> of multi head. But maybe this improvement has flown into randr 1.2?

  I want to believe that this should be functional on the current
driver, or require some very basic patch to enable (but I only
have access to a sample mips computer with a smi 502...).

> There was another strange behaviour which was removed with our 1.4.9 driver. The \
> Video BIOS identification string was shown up twice each time initializing X (using \
> the SM712 chip).
>
> > They are already in version 2.2.8, while we are on version 1.6.1 :-)
>
> Ah, okay I see that the 1.4.9 driver is quite old in the meantime *smile*
> However, with Xorg 7.1 (as distributed with CentOS 5), I had the same issues with \
> the siliconmotion driver concerning the SM712 chip described above.

  Did you try with a checkout of the current freedesktop driver? It
would be good to know if there aren't any regressions. But from what
I could check, when comparing with sources in 1.4.9, all code checking
if is a primary card is already in the freedesktop driver, so, if it
doesn't work, it may also be a regression in the pci/vbe code in Xorg.

> > If you can send me the tarball it should be easier to handle, then
> > real diffs. As there may exist useful features that were removed...
>
> Okay, I appended the tgz of our working siliconmotion driver sources 1.4.9 to this \
> email (compilable against XFree 4.3).

  Thanks. I looked at it, but I think everything it provides is
already available in the current freedesktop driver in functional
terms. But it is good to look at an older version to have a better
idea of how the code evolved :-)

> Thanks a lot for your help.
>

> Regards
> Björn