List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Double-buffering at screen level
From:       Mikhail Gusarov <dottedmag () dottedmag ! net>
Date:       2008-10-30 23:14:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello,

we're building a Linux distribution for a e-books with e-ink screen. One
of the controllers has the following interesting characteristics:

* Hardware double-buffering
* Displaying back buffer - ~0.2 seconds
* Pushing screen data to controller - ~1.3 seconds

Given the opportunity to reduce time to turn page from ~1.5 sec to ~0.2
sec, we've come to the need to have double-buffering at protocol (so
application can pre-render the following page and just show it when need
arises). Is there anything to look at?

Task looks hard: it is necessary to orchestrate applications to provide
compositing manager, btw?