List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Re: Summer of code 2006
From:       Adam Jackson <ajax () nwnk ! net>
Date:       2006-04-24 22:19:22

On Monday 24 April 2006 16:29, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How about making external TMDSes on radeon X?00 cards work ?
>
> 1. dual-head dvi cards are not so uncommon now
> 2. so are screens requiring dual-link dvi

This is a more or less reasonable idea on its own, but I think there's some
practical issues with making it an SoC project.  Assuming the TMDS controller
is documented, this really shouldn't be a three-month effort.  Whereas if
it's not documented, then this turns into a potentially unbounded
reverse-engineering timeframe, with no guarantee of being able to produce
_anything_.

Plus, the idea here is to have a learning experience for the student as well,
and TMDS controllers just aren't that complicated in principle, so it's not
clear to me that this would be a big win on either side.  I could see
including this as a bonus effort as part of a larger project, but as the sole
component... maybe not.

- ajax