List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    Elo USB touchscreen occasionally fails on boot up
From:       "Edwards, Scott (GE Healthcare)" <J.Scott.Edwards () ge ! com>
Date:       2006-03-30 19:10:33

We are using an Elo USB touchscreen on our system, with the linux public =
driver downloaded from the Elotouch website =
http://www.elotouch.com/support/dnld.asp and Xorg 6.8.1, on WhiteBox =
(RedHat) Enterprise Linux 4.0.  Occasionally (maybe 1 in 25 or 1 in 40 =
times) the touchscreen has no response after the system boots up.  When =
this happens the touchpad on the keyboard still works just fine.

I don't see any error messages or anything else that looks suspicious to =
me in the Xorg.0.log file.  Doing a diff between a Xorg.0.log file that =
was bad and a good one the only differences are the time and the memory =
offsets.

One interesting thing, when the failure occurs, switching to a virtual =
terminal (Ctl-Alt-F1) and back (Ctl-Alt-F7) fixes it, the touchscreen =
works fine after that.

I added some info messages to various routines in the driver to see if I =
could see anything different there when the problem occurs and =
recompiled it.  However even on a running system none of my messages =
show up in the log file.  I assume that I am not doing log messages =
correctly.

Can anyone suggest how I can determine where the problem lies?  My guess =
is that either the USB device is not getting initialized correctly in =
the Linux kernel or there is something wrong in the input driver, is =
there a simple method for me to determine which one it is?

Thanks for any help
  -Scott