List:       freedesktop-xorg
Subject:    [OT] News about the Open Graphics Proj
From:       Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel () free ! fr>
Date:       2005-01-25 16:55:40

FYI

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:09:37 -0500
From: Timothy Miller <miller@techsource.com>
Subject: [OT] News about the Open Graphics Project
Sender: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org

Some of you may recall my post back in October
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109831011607347&w=2)
about an open-source-friendly graphics board.  We've been working on
that, and we've made a lot of progress on it.  A LOT has changed, and
we're now working on an OpenGL-compliant 3D GPU.

This morning, KernelTrap put up an interview that we've been working on
which talks about the project and its current status.  Here's a link to
the article:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/4622

Usually, KernelTrap quotes LKML.  Therefore, I figure it wouldn't be too
bad for me to quote KernelTrap on LKML.  :)  Here's a relevant bit of
the article:

The Open Graphics Project is a collaboration between the Free and Open
Source Software (FOSS) Community and Tech Source Inc. to develop new 3D
graphics products that are compatible with Free Software, both
philosophically and practically. The project is currently designing an
"open source friendly graphics card" which will offer quality 3D and 2D
acceleration with an impressive feature set at an affordable price,
aiming for availability as early as June of 2005. Though the project was
only started in October of 2004, it has already released the card's
specifications, a design document, and a software model for early
testing and driver development. In this interview, Timothy provides a
wealth of information about the project and its current status,
highlights contributions needed from the free and open source community,
and fully describes the specific capabilities of the card.

[Note:  I used to subscribe to LKML, but this project and my own mailing
list have made it impossible for me to keep up with LKML.  If you have
questions, feel free to email me directly.]
-