List:       freedesktop-xdg
Subject:    RE: autostart spec updates/extensions
From:       "Bastian, Waldo" <waldo.bastian () intel ! com>
Date:       2006-10-19 16:00:01

> file

> > > I was about to mail you a test suite for it actually (still need to
> check a
> > > few things)
> > >
> > > It comes down to %%, %d and %n not being supported in Exec lines.
> >
> > Ok, test case attached. Test case requires xdg-utils to be in your path.
> There is something funky going on in that the test only works half the time
> here on my fedora core 5. If you get "/tmp/exec-test.result: no such file"
> then you need to run it again. (Any insight in what is going wrong there
> would be appreciated)
> >
> > Anyway, when you play with the Exec line and the test runs ok you will
> notice that %% is never expanded and that if there are multiple codes
> listed, e.g. both %d and %n then only the first one is expanded. Note that
> %d and %n are actually supported, contrary to my previous statement, as
> long as they are used stand alone.
>
> I don't have xdg-utils right now. I just copied and pasted the desktop
> file and the script. It works fine here, when launching it from nautilus
> and when dropping a file from nautilus too. And %% is expanded too.

That's excellent, I assume it has been fixed for 2.16 already then. Any chance you \
can hunt down the patch for that?

> Testing with mime type failed, though. Looks like a bug in gnome-vfs.
> I'll look at it.

I see this: After installing the desktop file and updating the default apps \
gnome-open fails to open the file with the right application for a little while (1 \
second or so) but then automatically recovers and starts to do the right thing. \
During that time gnomvfs-info shows the right mimetype. The strange thing is that it \
also happens when you install a desktop file that already exists: it works before, \
then it fails for a little while, and then it starts working again. (FC5, gnome 2.14)

Does gnome-open handles this stuff all by itself or does it call nautilus or some \
other process?

Cheers,
Waldo